Welcome to the Ampersand Blog
The peeps at Kel & Partners have a lot to say. After all we are public relations and social media zealots who thrive on sharing interesting news and great stories with the public. The Ampersand Blog is really the voice of our Peeps – the kick-ass team of people that work at K&P. Whether it’s a story about the way PR works NOW, the social media universe, our families, beloved pets or quirky travel experiences, you’ll find it all right here. You may laugh, you may cry, but the best part is you’ll leave feeling “wicked smaht” as we like to say here in Boston.
Archive for June, 2014
- Twitter Facebook
Kendyll Messina | Monday, June 2, 2014 16 Comments
Get in the Social Know: Emerging Hashtag Definitions
Hashtags. We see them all day across the social media landscape, not just on Twitter and Instagram. Most are simply combinations of phrases or abbreviations of words we are already familiar with, but then there are the other Hashtags, the ones that leave us thinking… “WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?!” I dedicate this article to those of you that struggle with these less-than-obvious hashtags. Don’t remain dazed and confused in the land of social media, check out the definitions of the latest and greatest in Hashtag lingo below, and let’s get in the social media know together…shall we?
#mcm = Man Crush Monday
- Definition: That one guy that as hard as you try, you simply cannot stop thinking about (whether he is attainable or not is beside the point). For example – Leo, Bradley, George, Justin, Adam, David… you get the picture
#TT = Transformation Tuesday
- Definition: Most of the time this will come in the form of a before and after photo. The “transformation” can be interpreted many different ways, whether it’s a photo of someone who has reached a fitness goal, or has finally cleaned up their extremely messy desk.
#wcw = Woman Crush Wednesday
- Definition: Similar to man crush Monday, this is when it’s most appropriate to post about a woman you find attractive or admire.
#tbt = Throwback Thursday
- Definition: Features a photo from the past, whether it’s an embarrassing photo from childhood or from just a few nights ago at the bar, which may still be embarrassing – but most importantly memorable.
#FBF = Flashback Friday
- Definition: Because you just didn’t get enough on Throwback Thursday…
#FF = Follow Friday
- Definition: Mainly on Twitter, this is when a person recommends that you follow someone they follow. This can be anything from a friend or celebrity, to a particular brand of clothing or restaurant.
- Definition: When people take selfies on a Sunday. If you don’t know what a selfie is, you may just be a lost cause at this point…
#ootd = Outfit of the Day
- Definition: When someone shows off or shows approval of an outfit, which they or someone else is wearing.
- Definition: Something you simply cannot handle, so you just “can’t”.
- Definition: Referring to an incredibly attractive food item of the healthy or not so healthy variety.
- Definition: A way in which one says that they are “sorry”, but don’t really mean it… like at all.
I’m personally a fan of using Hashtags as long as it’s clear to me – and my potential reading audience – what they mean.
How about you? Have you seen any other Hashtags recently that have your head spinning, wondering what the original poster was trying to convey? Feel free to share yours in the comments below!Read more